Hi! I'm Katie.
I'm a writer and social entrepreneur. I'm passionate about progressive politics, civil rights advocacy, and using the reach of technology and media to produce positive social change.
I received my B.A. cum laude with distinction in Health & Societies from the University of Pennsylvania and my M.S. in Management Studies from Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
Highlighted Coverage of My Work in the Press
- "UPenn Grad Seeks to Become First Openly Gay Man in Space," Out Magazine (August 2015)
- "Penn Alumni Establish First Ever Online Resource for LGBT Asylum Seekers," Philadelphia Magazine (September 2015)
- "Local outreach project hopes to help LGBTQ immigrant, asylum-seekers," The Seattle Times (September 2015)
- "Interview with Katie Sgarro," Accelerate.lgbt Blog, Google New York (October 2015)
- "Safe and Sound: Organization To Help LGBT Asylum Seekers Started in Philly," Philadelphia Gay News (October 2015)
- "What Moves A Millennial: My Year Of Inspiration 2015," Forbes.com (November 2015)
- "Under 30: How Will You Change The World?," (Video) Forbes.com (November 2015)
- "Katie Sgarro," Narrating Happiness Blog (June 2016)
- "Philly-Born Database Enhanced for LGBT Asylum-Seekers," Philadelphia Gay News (March 2017)
- "The 5 Gayest Healthcare Startups Right Now," HealthCare.com (June 2017)
- "Katie Sgarro," Millennium Campus Network (MCN) Blog (August 2017)
- "AsylumConnect and One Degree Join Forces to Take First Online Resource Database for LGBTQ Asylum Seekers Nationwide," MySocialGoodNews (September 2017)
- "The Clinton Global Initiative Empowers New Leaders to Solve Global Challenges," Big Think (October 2017)
- "Online Resource Database for LGBTQ Asylum Seekers Available Soon," GBMNews (October 2017)
- "7 Tech Organizations Worth Donating to This Holiday Season," The Hard Refresh Blog by Skillcrush (November 2017)
- "Online LGBT asylum resource launches in SF," The Bay Area Reporter (November 2017)
- "The Honor Roll: A young leader provides a lifeline for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S.," The Clinton Foundation - Medium (December 2017)
What Can I Do For You?
I am always looking to write or guest speak about LGBTQ issues and social entrepreneurship. I am also very interested in giving back through joining a nonprofit board or providing pro bono mentorship to LGBTQ youth. I have experience in the following areas and I'm always looking for new opportunities.
- Freelance writing (op-eds, blog posts, news, proposals, profiles, reviews, press releases, web copy, talking points, comedy, etc.)
- LGBTQ advocacy & LGBTQ youth mentorship
- Guest speaking (LGBTQ rights, AsylumConnect, UPchieve, social entrepreneurship, socially impactful technology)
- Nonprofit board advising
- Advising for tech/social justice startups (Product Management, HR & Organizational Development, PR/Communications, Marketing/Advertising)
Interested in working together? Contact me.