Hi! I'm Katie.
I'm a social entrepreneur and LGBTQ advocate. I'm passionate about progressive politics, civil rights advocacy, and using the reach of technology and media to produce positive social change.
My work has been published and featured in numerous publications including The HuffPost, The Advocate, Philadelphia Magazine, Forbes.com, and Out Magazine. I've also been a featured speaker on LGBTQ rights and socially impactful technology.
I received my B.A. cum laude with distinction in Health & Societies from the University of Pennsylvania and my M.S. in Management Studies from Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
Highlighted Coverage of My Work in the Press
- "UPenn Grad Seeks to Become First Openly Gay Man in Space," Out Magazine (August 2015)
- "Penn Alumni Establish First Ever Online Resource for LGBT Asylum Seekers," Philadelphia Magazine (September 2015)
- "Local outreach project hopes to help LGBTQ immigrant, asylum-seekers," The Seattle Times (September 2015)
- "Interview with Katie Sgarro," Accelerate.lgbt Blog, Google New York (October 2015)
- "Safe and Sound: Organization To Help LGBT Asylum Seekers Started in Philly," Philadelphia Gay News (October 2015)
- "What Moves A Millennial: My Year Of Inspiration 2015," Forbes.com (November 2015)
- "Under 30: How Will You Change The World?," (Video) Forbes.com (November 2015)
- "Katie Sgarro," Narrating Happiness Blog (June 2016)
- "Philly-Born Database Enhanced for LGBT Asylum-Seekers," Philadelphia Gay News (March 2017)
- "The 5 Gayest Healthcare Startups Right Now," HealthCare.com (June 2017)
- "Katie Sgarro," Millennium Campus Network (MCN) Blog (August 2017)
- "AsylumConnect and One Degree Join Forces to Take First Online Resource Database for LGBTQ Asylum Seekers Nationwide," MySocialGoodNews (September 2017)
- "The Clinton Global Initiative Empowers New Leaders to Solve Global Challenges," Big Think (October 2017)
- "Online Resource Database for LGBTQ Asylum Seekers Available Soon," GBMNews (October 2017)
- "7 Tech Organizations Worth Donating to This Holiday Season," The Hard Refresh Blog by Skillcrush (November 2017)
- "Online LGBT asylum resource launches in SF," The Bay Area Reporter (November 2017)
- "The Honor Roll: A young leader provides a lifeline for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S.," The Clinton Foundation - Medium (December 2017)
What Can I Do For You?
I am always looking to write or guest speak about LGBTQ issues and social entrepreneurship. I am also very interested in giving back through joining a nonprofit board or providing pro bono mentorship to LGBTQ youth. I have experience in the following areas and I'm always looking for new opportunities.
- Freelance writing (op-eds, blog posts, news, proposals, profiles, reviews, press releases, web copy, talking points, comedy, etc.)
- LGBTQ advocacy & LGBTQ youth mentorship
- Guest speaking (LGBTQ rights, AsylumConnect, social entrepreneurship, socially impactful technology)
- Nonprofit board advising
- Advising for tech/social justice startups (Product Management, HR & Organizational Development, PR/Communications, Marketing/Advertising)
Interested in working together? Contact me.