Co-Founder & President / July 2014 - Present
I'm currently Co-Founder & President of tech nonprofit AsylumConnect. I've led AsylumConnect for the past 4 years in establishing the first online resource database for LGBTQ asylum seekers in the U.S. The AsylumConnect catalog, available on web and mobile devices, helps persecuted LGBTQ people identify and access verified human needs resources in the U.S. Nonprofits, immigration attorneys, and other service providers also use our free, online database to gather verified resource referrals for clients. We're now partnering with Y Combinator-backed nonprofit One Degree to improve and scale our resource catalog across the U.S.
For my work on AsylumConnect, I was selected as the winner of the Millennium Peace Prize at the 7th Annual Millennium Campus Conference at the UN (2015), the wining team of the Business Today Impact Challenge (2015), a finalist for the Harvard Social Enterprise Conference Pitch Competition (2017), named to the Clinton Global Initiative University Alumni Honor Roll (2017), a Mogul Influencer (2017), and others.
Major Awards Won for AsylumConnect
- Honor Roll for 2017 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) (CGI U's tenth anniversary: most accomplished program participants)
- Finalist for 2017 Harvard Social Enterprise Conference (SECON) Pitch Competition
- Commitment to Action featured at the 2016 Clinton Global Initiative University (CGI U) meeting at University of California, Berkeley
- Winning Team of the 2015 Business Today Impact Challenge at the BT International Conference
- Winner of the 2015 Millennium Peace Prize at the 7th Annual Millennium Campus Conference (MCC15) at the United Nations
- Fellow for the 2015 Penn Social Impact House (22 Penn and Columbia student and alumni leaders in social impact)
- Winner of the 2015 Global Hesselbein Student Leadership Award (1 of 50 global student recipients)
Co-Founder & Advisor / July 2016 - Present
In July 2016, I co-founded a second tech nonprofit, UPchieve. UPchieve is an ed-tech nonprofit providing free, online, and on-demand educational and guidance services to disadvantaged high school students in the U.S. UPchieve focuses on helping students who fall into at least one of the following categories: low-income, racial/ethnic minorities, LGBTQ, immigrants, and/or first-generation college students.
In my role as co-founder, I helped to assemble a team, draft advertising and web copy, launch a social media presence, secure a student enrollment partner, and obtain pro bono legal support for incorporation and fiscal sponsorship. As a member of UPchieve's advisory board, I now advise on organizational development (recruiting, marketing, partnerships, funding, etc.) and pilot strategy on an as needed basis.